Home | Contact | atom | rss  

why oh why must . . .

everybody have a blog?

Heart Stopping

I went shopping yesterday, as you do on a Saturday afternoon. I was looking for a pair of cufflinks. Boy did I pick the wrong shop.

"We have these available."
Hmmm, too fancy, I want something simpler, nothing fussy. "Well, we have these. They're in white-gold." Mmmmm... they're great. And um, how much would they be? "Let me just check. I'm just looking for the engraving... Ah! yes, they're nine hundred and ninety pounds."

I didn't even blink. But I'm quite sure that my iris must have done something, along with my heart stopping. GBP990 ! Right, ok, so, um, ok, I'd like to keep looking actually, you're the first shop I've been in. erm... thanks very much... bye.


5 Comments:

Blogger Herge Smith said...

Wow, GBP495 per cufflink - that would have to be some cuff.

What the hell is white gold? Is that the same as white chocolate - does it have added milk?

Mon May 23, 11:06:00 AM GMT  
Blogger pissoff said...

I would have blinked and said "pissoff!" That's a bit dear init.

Tue May 24, 01:00:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Rowan said...

Similar thing happened to me. I had $500.00CA with me, looking to buy my husband a watch. Well, I finally found one that spoke to me and when I asked how much, I nearly fainted when they said $7,000.00 even. Have you noticed men's jewelry is so much more expensive? Maybe if men got more, it would be cheaper due to high demand?

Tue May 24, 08:06:00 PM GMT  
Blogger chris said...

Herge: White Gold is gold with other alloys added in, but the big thing is that they coat it with Rhodium or some weird heavy metal, and that's what makes it super shiny and stuff.

Tue May 24, 08:10:00 PM GMT  
Blogger chris said...

hey Rowan :)

I don't think demand would help matters. The problem is that women most often buy jewelry because its pretty. Whereas men will buy hugely ugly crap with initials stamped on (weird!) just because its expensive.

If a Rolex or Tag Heure effort cost fifty quid nobody would want one!

Tue May 24, 08:12:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home