Home | Contact | atom | rss  

why oh why must . . .

everybody have a blog?

raison d'être

A post by ChickyBabe questioning her raison d'être has prompted me to get back to what I must have been thinking about when I started this blog. I think maybe there are a couple of big posts knocking around in the back of my head that should arrive eventually.

There are a lot of blogs about. Technorati is indexing 10 million, 90percent from the last two years. MSN Spaces has 10 million by itself and that's just this year. That's an awful lot of information. Its probably enough writing to say, reach the moon if you print it all out and pile all the A4 paper up. Maybe not, but you get the idea. Nobody can keep up with that much info, its borg-collective type stuff.

And this is where one of the other posts that's in the back of my head would fit in, but I'll save it for another time because it would be going too far off topic.

You can only keep up with a few sources. Some of them might have a huge circulation like BoingBoing and give you twenty entries to read in a day, while others might be sporadically updated personal journals detailing where to get good pasta in Louisiana.

So this is my question, not "why do I write" but "why do I read"?

I started off with a few well known names, and a few "Best of" lists and then a few blogrolls later and I'm checking what feels like hundreds of pages each day. But those are resonably rewarding, simply because its self-selecting - "I read you because of some shared interest. You read them because of some other shared interest." and soon you've got a cluster of links all in one theme.

Its a third class of links within my reading list that I'm most worried about. They've crept up on me and I'm worried that its these that are most likely to become overwhelming. Its not because they're throwing a massive amount of information at me, its because this third class is the only one in which I feel I owe the authors.

Yep, I'm looking at you, the readers. Don't get uncomfortable, its ok! I wanted readers but I've gone about it in the wrong way. It should be just a question of content but its become a question of content and comment.

I can't be only one that does it, craving feedback. And then cultivating that feedback by visiting my own visitors' sites. And then I'm hooked. Feeling obligated to keep checking back and repaying the favour of a comment with more feedback. Its all very friendly on the surface but could it just be the blogging equivalent of meeting that vague aquaintence on the street and exchanging a hollow "Hey, how are you. Good? Yeah me too, fine. Alright, nice to see you, call soon."

I think the knock-on effect is a change in motivation for writing. Writing for the audience instead of whatever the reason used to be. That's something that I don't want to happen.


9 Comments:

Blogger Herge Smith said...

Some interesting points, and I feel compelled to comment.

I only really comment on blogs I like. I just can't be bothered now to 'browse' the blogsphere, especially since I am one of a cuggillion blogs, who has the time. The only way I discover new blogs is through the ones I like, I'll be checking out Chicken or the egg now.

What was my point? Dunno.

Sorry. As I said, I felt compelled to comment.

Sun May 29, 07:49:00 PM GMT  
Blogger chris said...

muhahaha compelled to comment. My plan is working.

I think. Did I have a plan?

um...

Thank you for commenting :)

Sun May 29, 08:40:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Sniffy said...

What's weird is when you build up fan base, for want of a better phrase, you do feel compelled to post to your blog. And instead of posting things that you'd have posted at the beginning, you find yourself trying to think of things that people will/might find entertaining. The whole idea of a blog is to post what you like. Well, that's the idea of mine at least. It's not as if I'm paid to be giving up my time to entertain people. I suppose given the content of my blog, that's a good thing - the masses would've been demanding a refund by now.

Sun May 29, 11:28:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

I think I still post what I like - I mean the Dave stuff is purely me venting against Dave types - mind you I do get nervous that people might think it's what I think. It ain't, I hate Dave.

The comments make it all worth it though. I think that's the point. Erm... or not.

Mon May 30, 11:29:00 AM GMT  
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

You raise some good points, Chris. It is very easy to get hooked on comments, and target posts to your readership. But if we remain true to our “prime directive”, writing for ourselves, we tend to find our own audience. Admittedly, I have tried it both ways, and found that it is unpredictable. Some posts I wrote for me, which I considered bland and boring have generated interest and other targeted posts did not attract the attention I thought they would. So back to writing for myself.

Repaying the favour by commenting may be akin to your neighbourly “hi”. However, I have found that friendships can develop in certain cases, where bloggers share a common interest, and it’s no longer “How are you doing?” but “I’m interested in what you have to say”. In any case, I have found it to be rewarding experience, one that I never imagined when I started blogging.

Take it a step further. You write a blog post, and someone else references it. How could you NOT reply with a comment? :) The next step I have found, is when some of your regular readers request a particular post. They’re no longer acquaintances in the street, they’ve become friends.

Sorry it took me so long to make it here!

Fri Jun 03, 10:42:00 PM GMT  
Blogger chris said...

Hi Chickybabe, thanks for stopping by.

Things have been pretty quiet around here for a while anyways. I'm a bit too sleepy to comment properly so... I won't.

Sat Jun 04, 01:12:00 AM GMT  
Blogger madgirl said...

((((heya chris))))

its funny huh? i havent been bloggin long - and i never expected to have an audience. just my friends and family wavin hey and that kinda stuff.

think what i notice most is wantin to explain things more. the poetry i write is still for me - completely and utterly MINE ya know? but the stories? hmm. think those are more bout wantin to be heard - to have someone else say yeah i get what that mustve been like kinda deal.

the audience does creep in i guess. i think its a good/bad thing tho. maybe it shifts what i choose to tell - or the ways i choose to tell it. but when im writin in isolation i dont get the interaction and feedback and learnin i get from readers. so the changes arent all bad yeah?

take care chris. was nice of you to say hi :)

Tue Jun 07, 12:51:00 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wiser on this subject now that I've read your blog.online computer shopping More info here online computer shopping

Thu Oct 13, 09:22:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here searching for loan online secured uk cause i need a loan online secured uk

Best ive found so far is

loan online secured uk

Nice blog on loans in the UK good for loan online secured uk

Sat Oct 15, 04:37:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home